10 great reasons to add fresh bee pollen to your daily diet
After the long winter, spring has finally sprung! We can all look forward to longer days and hopefully more chances to get outside and enjoy the fresh air.
If you are looking to make a healthy start to spring, here are 10 great reasons to add fresh bee pollen to your daily diet.
- It's an Energy Enhancer - The range of nutrients found within bee pollen makes it a great natural energiser. The carbohydrates, protein and B vitamins can help keep you going all day by enhancing stamina and fighting off fatigue.
- It helps to promote smoother skin - Bee pollen is often used in topical products that aim to treat inflammatory conditions and common skin irritations like psoriasis or eczema. The amino acids and vitamins protect the skin and aid the regeneration of cells.
- It can help the respiratory system - Bee pollen contains a high quantity of antioxidants that may have an anti-inflammatory effect on the tissues of the lungs, preventing the onset of asthma.
- Its great for treating allergies – Bee pollen is especially effective for treating local seasonal allergies. When you consume pollen, your immune system builds antibodies to the airborne allergens. It is the same concept as allergy shots. You get a shot of what you’re allergic to. It is a process. So be patient and give it several weeks to build up all those antibodies.
- It aids the digestive system - In addition to healthy vitamins, minerals and protein, bee pollen contains enzymes that can aid in digestion. Enzymes assist your body in getting all the nutrients you need from the food that you eat. When you combine raw honey and fresh pollen, the enzymes in the honey break down the pollen and make it more available to your system.
- It's an immune system booster - Pollen is good for the intestinal flora and thereby supports the immune system. According to holistic health expert Dr. Joseph Mercola, bee pollen has antibiotic-type properties that can help protect the body from contracting viruses. It's also rich in antioxidants that protect the cells from the damaging oxidation of free radicals.
- It can help treat addictions – Used holistically for healing addictions and inhibiting cravings by suppressing impulses. Because bee pollen crashes cravings, it is a very useful research is needed into this benefit, particularly when it comes to weight management.
- It supports the Cardiovascular System - Bee Pollen contains large amounts of Rutin, an antioxidant bioflavonoid that helps strengthen capillaries, blood vessels, assists with circulatory problems and corrects cholesterol levels. Its potent anti-clotting powers could help prevent heart attack and stroke.
- It can help maintain a healthy Prostate - Men who suffer from benign prostate hyperplasia can find relief by using bee pollen. Bee pollen can help reduce inflammation to stop frequent urges to urinate.
- It can help with Infertility Problems - Bee pollen stimulates and restores ovarian function, therefore may be used to assist in accelerating pregnancy. As well as being a hormonal booster it is also a great aphrodisiac!
Bee pollen is clearly a highly versatile ingredient and well worth considering as part of a healthy diet, however a doctor is the best person to provide advice around health issues and should always be consulted prior to making any dramatic changes to diet.
- Tim Cross